Thursday, September 22, 2011

Efficiency and Teams

Efficiency: we hear it in pretty much every business class we take. The more efficient production or organizational tasks can be accomplished the more time and money is saved. With teams this comes into play just as it does elsewhere. When a team is created and they connect to a level where they are  one unit then they are efficient, or a high performance team on the team performance curve. The curve shows the levels a team goes through and the efficiency that goes along with that. The main thing I think is important to consider with a team is that if it doesn't prove to be more efficient than why waste the time trying to fix it. Assemble a group that shoots through the projections and raises your companies sales or production output. With a team I think that once a personal relationship is bruised within the team that team cannot operate at an efficient level and therefore must be fixed in a way that is outlined in the team performance curve article. They can either add members, get rid of members, or place responsibilities elsewhere. Just to wrap it all up that without running on. The main goal of creating a team should be to improve efficiency, without this the team does not help the company grow.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you that teams should be efficient. That no doubt is the main goal of the team in the end. However I feel that even good teams need a little fixing. Nothing is perfect and that goes for the individuals who make up the teams we see everyday in the workplace. People share different ideas about the same problem and may need some help in figuring out how to best go about it. There is some good to taking a little time, and maybe sacrficing some efficiency in the process, to eventually create an amazing team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how straightforward you were with your post and I couldn't agree more. Efficiency always seems to continually be brought up when your a business major. It is one of the sole purposes of a company and even more importantly should be for a team as well. I would also agree that once a team seems to get "bruised" there is always going to be some underlying problem, which can only be fixed by the reasons listed in the team performance curve article. I think your message was right on the dot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you have to say, and I find myself agreeing with most everything. I do, however, disagree with you saying that once a team is damaged, they should be spit up and the team(s) should be redistributed. I think the members should try to work out the issue. There's no sense in just giving up if the team had been working well. The team could could continue to operate at their high efficiency level once the "bruised relationship" was fixed.

    ReplyDelete