Thursday, October 27, 2011

Employee Uniforms

From our discussion in class I felt like everything about the uniforms effect on the employees was true. It does make you feel degraded wearing a cheap uniform. So the new uniform probably does help to boost morale. One point that I would like to add relates to the topic of pressure. With the old smock, the words "How may I help you?" are emblazoned right on it. This adds pressure to the employee to help the customer because their uniform strictly labels them to do that. With the new uniform that pressure is alleviated because the words are gone so now the employees can walk through the stores and blend in more than they have in the past. This puts the responsibility of reaching out to customers in the hands of the employees which from the Walmart employees I've seen isn't the best idea to do.

1 comment:

  1. I like what you have said about putting the emphasis on employees to reach out to customers for service. This could be a good thing for Wal-Mart though. If Wal-Mart's employees do not reach out to the customers than they should be fired and replaced with customers willing to do their job. This should increase customer service by making the Wal-Mart job market competitive.

    ReplyDelete