The topic of integrative negotiation intrigued me in class. I thought about what it takes to come to an integrative decision. I think its something that you develop over time with a party as your relationship deepens. I don't believe that you jump to working out a negotiation in an integrative way right out of the gate because this leaves you vulnerable. If the other party doesn't reveal their true intentions you run the risk of being manipulated into a decision not best for yourself.
It kinda plays off human nature. Competition is everywhere in our world and for two random, stranger parties to decide on an integrative decision takes a great set of morals and ethics. Competition usually prevails in a first time negotiation because the parties feel the need to win, unknowing that both parties can "win".
If two parties come to an integrative decision together I believe that that has to go a long way in developing a long term relationship in dealing with that party.
I agree that in todays world people would need that long term relationship to be able to use integrative negotiation comfortably. However I think that this shows how our society has put interests aside and shoved powers and rights into its place. You said that it would take a great set of morals and ethics to use integrative decision. But I feel as though it should not take such things. It should be natural for people to cooperate with one another without trying to backstab. It would make negotiation much easier and quicker and would allow time for more productive things.
ReplyDeletePower is what causes parties not to reveal their true intentions. If someone believes they are holding the power they will be less likely to reveal their interests and make themselves vulnerable. Power is what defines how someone acts; when holding the power someone will do their best to hold that power, and the person without it will do their best to try to gain the upper-hand.
ReplyDeleteYou are completely right. People are very competitive and want to win the negotiation instead of revealing their interests. If people did that instead of compete so much, maybe bother negotiating parties would end up happy. It's all about creating value, like the activity we did in class with the example of the orange.
ReplyDeleteIt is scary to see and understand how much the human culture has changed and adapted in order to gain anything from trust to honesty. As Savanna also said, it should be natural for people to want to cooperate with others, not to get so defensive and greedy. I think that lack of trust and uncertainty are two huge barricades in any relationship. This shows why marriages are failing, families are broken as well as business scams, unemployment, and other issues rise. With out trust and certainty, people feel vulnerable or even defensive and that leads to problems in other areas as well.
ReplyDeleteThis is true. In order for integrative negotiation to work, a strong working relationship must first be developed between both parties. This has as much to do with competitive nature as it does human inclination to mistrust.
ReplyDelete