In equity theory, we are motivated by a sense of fairness in our interactions and when this fairness is breached we look for reasons to why it is that way and try to recreate the equality. I found it interesting that even the side on the better end of the equality would look to make the equation equal again. And that subconsciously we go through the input output thing in our head in a matter of seconds without even realizing it. So in order to equalize the equation we change these input/outputs and balance. This is virtually impossible to use as a motivational technique because someone will always see it as unfair and someone will always be left with no motivation by money when they reach the top bracket, which is why the video we watched in class was important. It put the emphasis of motivation on Autonomy, Mastery, and Purpose. Take the Australian company for example and how when they were given just one day to do whatever they wanted, the most innovation was achieved. This shows the power of this system where employees on their own have a willingness to innovate based on their own inner drive. I don’t exactly understand how it works but I definitely found it very interesting.
It is a hard thing to understand and I do not think that anyone will truly understand it completely. What I think about the motivation within the equity equation is that people naturally have an urge to do creative things. People like freedom, its something that we have fought over for centuries, and by giving them just a little of it they can do some amazing things. When people are allowed to be creative in their jobs where this is generally stifled, it can create very innovative and unique outputs. This strategy should be taken on by more companies if they want to give their employees more motivation.
ReplyDeleteI was reading the part you said about how even the people who are gaining, according to equity theory, would look for a way to equalize the equation. I wonder if this has something to do with the person's subconscious feeling guilty that he/she is winning out and attempts to make it better for the sole purpose of justifying his/her actions. Interesting stuff.
ReplyDelete